Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point Receives Full Designation as Level II Trauma Center
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point announces that the Florida Department of Health has awarded the hospital full Level II Trauma Center designation, marking the end of a year-long provisional period and commitment to trauma care that began in 2009. Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is the only trauma center in Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties.
“For almost two and a half years, the staff at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has been working hard to continue our history of providing the highest levels of critical medical care to our community through the development of a trauma program,” said Shayne George, Chief Executive Officer. “By receiving this Level II Trauma Center designation, we continue to meet the needs of our growing community by providing quality trauma intervention and treatment,” he added.
The development of a trauma program was a natural step in the evolution of Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point and is a very proud milestone for the hospital. It is a part of the HCA Florida and USF Health agreement for trauma care which supports local needs for trauma services through an affiliation with a major academic university and medical school.
Trauma is the leading cause of death among Floridians ages one through 44. Florida’s death rate from accidental drowning among children ages one through four is the highest in the nation and falls are the leading cause of death among Florida residents age 65 and older. When serious trauma injuries occur, rapid transport, prompt treatment, and early rehabilitation of the trauma victim reduces mortality, physical injury, and financial cost. Florida’s trauma centers have reduced the statewide trauma mortality rate from 6.8% in 2004 to 4.9% in 2010 and provide faster treatment to improve patient outcomes and keep patients close to home and their loved ones.
On January 22, 2013 the Pasco County Board of County Commissioners passed a Resolution in support of the verification for Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point to become a Level II Trauma Center.
Pictured: L-R Pasco County Commissioners, Jack Mariano, Pat Mulieri; Shayne George, President & CEO Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point; Mark Anderson, Trauma Program Director, Joseph Mastandrea, Trauma Nurse Coordinator, Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point; Pasco County Commissioners’, Henry Wilson; Kathyrn Starkey & Ted Schrader.
“This full designation allows critically injured patients to have access to treatment in the ‘golden hour’ which is the first hour after serious injury in which there is the highest likelihood that prompt medical attention will prevent death,” said Scott Norwood, MD, Medical Director of RMCBP’s trauma program.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 900 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
• Recipient of the 2012 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award in both heart failure and stroke.
• Recipient of the AHA’s Mission: Lifeline Bronze Quality Achievement Award for implementing a higher standard of heart attack care that improves the survival and outcomes for STEMI (ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction) patients.
• Top Performing Hospital, the Joint Commission - recognized as one of the nation’s top performing hospitals in quality measurements for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care.
• Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center - Joint Commission
• Accredited Chest Pain Center, with PCI - Society of Chest Pain Centers for Cycle I, II and III • Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
• MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited - American College of Radiology
• Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program - American College of Surgeons.
• 10 Joint Commission Disease- Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery bypass graft, heart failure, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee, lung cancer, pneumonia, wound care!
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit RMCHealth.com or HeartofTampa.com. Or visit Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point on Facebook.